Monday 23 January 2012

Blitz – Commodore VIC-20 - 1981

Gaming doesn't get simpler than this


First up is Blitz, one of the games I got with the VIC-20. This game has to have the simplest controls ever – the only key used is the space bar.  There were many clones of this on other computers, but most other computers have better games, not so much the VIC. 

Your aim is to flatten all the buildings in a randomly generated city by dropping bombs from a plane flying from left to right across the screen.  You don’t control the plane, so just concentrate on when the bombs are dropped.  The bombs will take out a set number of blocks of the building when they hit; taller buildings requiring more hits.  When the plane reaches the right side of the screen it appears back on left slightly lower.  The game ends when the plane either successfully lands on the flattened landscape or crashes into one of the buildings.

Why the plane can’t land at an airport or fly around the buildings, rather than destroying a city is beyond me.  Why didn’t I question ridiculous plots when I was young?  I must be getting cynical in my old age.

Anyway, the sound is basic, the graphics are basic and the controls (control rather) are basic but it does have that all important ‘one more go’ quality.  That’s enough to get it on my list.


'Yeah, I've flattened a city just so I can land my plane'


Oops







6 comments:

  1. My great Android version of this classic is available here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tcksoft.blitz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this game only just remembered it when i saw a split second screenshot on the Bedrooms to Billions promo.

    Many many hours spent on this :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg, i was just explaining to my 12 year old how we had to program our games into our pc, this game was the only one that my brother and i managed to save to a cassette tape after typing for about 4 hours, so it got played for hours and hours, and i even remember my dad playing it over and over and laughing so hard when the pilot got out and waved his arms!!
      Also explaining how back then you couldn't WIN or COMPLETE a game, it just got harder and harder until you died! JUST LIKE REAL LIFE!! lol

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. **Spam**

      http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/24/the-flare-path-dont-buy-virtualpilot3d/

      Delete
  4. Loved this game only just remembered it when i saw a split second screenshot on the Bedrooms to Billions promo.

    Many many hours spent on this :-)
    https://clickmodapk.com/thoptv-apk-download/

    ReplyDelete